MOMMY= ME

Growing Into Motherhood.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Finally Friday: Milk Jugs

image source
A look inside a "mommy moment" and my thought process thereafter:

Yesterday my mother and I were creating a homemade batch of pureed nectarines for Lyla.  Included in our batch we added some of "mommy's milk" (a cuter way of referring to breast milk).  When the batch was completed my mother prompted me to "taste it."  I gave her a nauseating look.  "It came from you...so why the disgusted look?" she asked.  Good question.  Why can breast milk be so taboo?

Most, if not all,  health professionals are huge advocates of breast feeding due to the many nutrients and antibodies that a mother's milk carries.  It is even recommended that babies are exclusively breast fed for at least the first 6 months of life (according to the American Academy of Pediatrics).  So how is it that something so natural and pure be outright disgusting to the average adult? Maybe this question seems childish, but hear me out.  Americans consume billions of gallons of cow's milk each year...without every really thinking about where it comes from. Just like humans, cows produce milk to nurture their young.  So why is it that if you were to put a cup of my own breast milk in front of me and a cup of cow's milk...I would choose to drink the cow's milk?  

So I gave it a quick stir and opened my mouth (approaching the situation much like when I feed my own daughter) and tasted the pureed nectarines. Yes, I actually swallowed it.  It tasted pretty good.


6 comments:

Katie said...

Maybe cause it is warm?!? I've often wondered this myself. Never attempted to taste it, even when I was wanting to test something that I made (since it was an ingredient).

Unknown said...

Hello! thank you for visiting and follow Mommyhood's Diary. Following back.
Have a great weekend.

Silverfaerie said...

You're braver than I am. Don't think I ever could've tasted it, but my curiosity wasn't that strong. It's been years since I've produced breast milk, and I don't plan to ever do so again (kiddo is 15), so the flavor is a mystery that I'll just have to deal with.

Following from the Rockin' Mama Blog Stalk Friday Hop!

http://silverfaeries-dragonflies.blogspot.com

Kathleen said...

Good point. I've licked my own breastmilk off my finger but I've never drank more than that of it. It's really no big deal and like you said, what do we think cow's milk is?

It's because our society still thinks of breasts as mainly sexual objects I think. Many of don't want to um swallow what comes out of our other sexual objects. Sorry if that's too crude for anyone. Just a thought.

Good for you for trying it. I want to make my own baby food at least sometimes for my son.

MommieEqualsMe said...

Thanks ladies for checking me out. Callista I think you are on to something! And you should definitely try and make some homemade baby food. It is easier than it sounds. I don't do it all the time..just when I am feeling creative. Hope you will pop by again!

Jordan Marie @ hottlt.com said...

rotfl.. don't worry.. i've been there too.. i even tell people what i think it tastes like.. ha ha.

it tastes really good with pears.. fyi..

<3xojo