MOMMY= ME

Growing Into Motherhood.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Finally Friday: EMERGENCY

Image Source           
Yesterday was our very first trip to the ER with Lyla....yes she is only 6 and half months old and already has had a trip to the ER.  I feel like a terrible mother.  Luckily it was an easy fix and she is blowing bubbles at me as we speak (err as you read).  She had "nursemaid's elbow"...silly sounding, I know.  Nursemaid's elbow is when the bone called the radius is pulled slightly "out of joint."  It happens to children up to the age of five and is mostly commonly seen in children who are beginning to walk. The reason for this is because children learning to walk are typically holding someone's hands with outstretched arms.  A small hiccup, like the child tripping, can jerk the arm and pop the bone out of place.

Well, I was sitting with Lyla with her arms outstretched and she quickly jerked and twisted her arm.  As soon as this happened I heard a loud POP...and I knew something was not right.  She cried initially and then started to settle down.  I could feel my heart sinking because I thought I had just broken her wee arm.  I slowly touched the arm (her left) and she would whine and cringe.  How could I tell if it was broken?  My first bright idea...Google it.  Everything I read said to err on the side of caution, so my next move was to call Daddy.  He told me to see if she would reach out for an object in front of or above her.  So I placed her favorite dolly in front of her and watched as she slowly began to reach for her..it looked promising until she began to whimper.  I then tried to put the dolly above her and received the same reaction.  Soon she just refrained from using it at all.  Poor bugger.

So, I called her doctor (of course it was after 5 PM) and the on call service told me to take her into the ER. I had a huge pit in my stomach.  The only thing in my mind was an image of her in a little cast...and that it was my fault.  I know accidents happen, but it really stinks when your child gets hurt when they are in your care.  As a mother, I am supposed to protect and care for her...not break the poor girl's arm. So off we went.



We arrived at the ER a little after 6 PM and we were out by 7 PM.  Pretty darn fast.  She was pretty chipper for a baby that was hurt.  I could even get her to giggle. When the doctor came in he told us that he wasn't going to do an x-ray because he was sure that it was "nursemaid's elbow."  He reached for her arm and did his magic. The worst part was hearing her little cry as he set her elbow back into place.  After settling down she was using her arm in no time. The doc said that it could happen again in the future and that I could easily pop it back into place for her....ummmm no thank you.  I am no Doogie Howser.  So what's next? For the next few weeks we have to be careful...no free standing with her arms out. 

As a parent I am learning new things every day. It's not always ideal to learn the hard way, but hey that's life.  I have never heard of the term "nursemaid's elbow" and would have never known what it meant if this incident didn't happen.  I hope maybe I can give another parent a little peace if a similar situation happens to them.  Remember, don't always assume the worst (although I know that can be hard) and accidents do happen!

6 comments:

Denise McDonough said...

You handled this GREAT! really you did... Now as the medic in me I am saying this. You did all the right steps and I am glad you aired on the side of caution and took her to the ER. Never feel bad that is what they are there for something real or something not real if you feel not ok you go no matter what... Ok
Now as a mom I am saying... WTG you were cool calm and collective. You are sad thinking this thing shouldnt happen but pulled things broken things and stiches things are all a side effect of growing up. When my son was 2 he was prancing around the house I was having a little get together with my friends so there was about 5-7 of us there watching him (now mind I am a medic and was actively working at that point. ) and he simple fell and when he rolled over he snapped his arm in half! Just by rolling on a carpet with 5 adults watching him. I instantly picked him up and panic! Yes cool calm just did CPR the night before gal panic! I called my company I worked for screaming I need an ambulance (it was a broken arm by no means did I need one lol) but they came to my rescue (i think they had to bc i was their fav lol...) and off we went I felt so stupid recounting the story of the fall but I was reassured that I did the right thing and I was not at fault in any way.
Its hard when your a mom because you have literary the best of times the worst of times and the scariest of times! But being a mom is wonderful and rewarding and we have to remember none of it it our fault lol...
Thank you for coming over to Mommy2Nanny3Doggy1... I hope you enjoy reading it :) Your blog is soooo adorable! The pics at the top are breath taking...
Have a wonderful weekend!
And sorry for the LONG comment lol

Jordan Marie @ hottlt.com said...

Awe.. That's no fun.. We were in and out of so many doctors in the first few months.. It was no fun.. So I share some of that with ya!

When Letti was born her hips were out of socket.. So kind of similar.. She had to wear a harness.. Ugh.

But luckily she is all healed! Yay!

<3xojo

Hello I'm Lala! said...

OMG!! I'm so sorry y'all had to go through this. But yes, things happen and you handled it well. Being a first time parent is scary!! We never know what to expect.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm returning the favor :-)

Renae said...

Hi! I found your blog from HOTTLT. I had nursemaids elbow a few times as a kid...and after our first trip to the doctor my dad was able to fix it the other times. Just a heads up that once it happens it's more likely to happen again.

That had to be super scary taking your little one to the ER. My son's 5 1/2 months old and I would be a basket case if I had to take him. Glad it was nothing serious :-)

MommieEqualsMe said...

Thanks ladies! Denise, thanks so much for sharing. You did do the right thing! The hardest is to see your child in pain and any immediate parent's thought is FIX IT NOW :) Jordan I am glad to hear that your little one is all healed! Thanks for understanding what I was going through! Lala thanks so much for stopping by! Ranae thanks so much for commenting! Your Dad is a trooper...the thought of resetting a bone makes me cringe. The did tell us that it would, most likely happen again. Yikes. I am not excited for that day! Going to check out your site now :)

Tina said...

The first ER trip is always nerve-wracking. I'm glad everything worked out okay! I'm your newest follower from Bloggy Moms!