MOMMY= ME

Growing Into Motherhood.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Growth Spurts and Tasty Chocolate




It was nice to step on the scale the first week after Lyla was born and see that I dropped 18 pounds.  I thought, "Hey if things continue like this I will be super svelte in no time." 2 weeks later and things have come to a screeching halt...only 1 pound lost.  Looking down at the scale made me feel like the contestants on the 'Biggest Loser' during a bad week.  Okay okay...it is not like I have been working out at all, but to know that I have a long road (of about 20 additional pounds) ahead of me is sort of disheartening.  To add insult to injury: there is mounds of Easter candy plaguing every pharmacy, department store, and super market where ever you go.  Did I mention that I have a super soft spot for Cadbury Mini Eggs?  Good thing that this whole operation HM starts Friday....bring on the chocolate!

Before my HM journey begins I plan on making some delicious chocolate brownies.  I have been searching the internet for a good recipe and came across this one from Barefoot Contessa. I plan on making them tonight as long as Lyla is in good spirits:

Ingredients

  • 1 pound unsalted butter
  • 1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 6 extra-large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
  • 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Butter and flour a 12 x 18 x 1-inch baking sheet.
Melt together the butter, 1 pound of chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water. Allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla, and sugar. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of flour, then add them to the chocolate batter. Pour into the baking sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake! Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate, and cut into 20 large squares.


As we all know, chocolate is also good for feeding your moods.  When days are a little rough, popping a piece (okay pieces) of chocolate in my mouth just tastes so darn good.  And things have been a little rougher these days since Lyla is going through a growth spurt. I read somewhere that during the second, third, and sixth week of life babies go through this.  What does this mean? A fussier baby who eats a whole lot more.  As I mentioned briefly in my last post, I am breastfeeding. I decided that I would breastfeed Lyla for 3 reasons: 1) it is very nutritious and carries loads of antibodies to help lower the risk of various illnesses in both baby and mom 2) It is free...duh.  3) Instant calorie burn without breaking a sweat. The production of milk actually helps new moms burn an extra 200-600 calories per day.  The challenge?  When your baby is hungry...get ready to whip out your boobies or you better have previously pumped a supply of bottles.  I did purchase an Avent breast pump (to match my collection of Avent bottles) and love it.  I did, however, notice that after feeding Lyla a bottle she tends to get fussy because she is taking in more air which leads to more gas. To prevent this, I have only been giving her bottle when absolutely necessary since dealing with an unhappy baby is all but pleasant. I also literally feel like a cow while I pump, which always gives Garrett a good laugh (thanks honey).

It gets pretty personal whipping out your ladies every 2 hours.  Thankfully I have not been in the position where I have had to resort to doing this in public (just not my style).  I do often have to seclude myself in a private room whenever we visit my in-laws or have company over.  I have actually grown to feel pretty comfortable exposing my boob/s in front of others (as long as I know they don't care). Sadly, when your boobs have functionality they no longer carry the same 'wow' factor <sigh>.

Feeding Lyla is only half the battle these days.  Her schedule is a bit erratic so we are never quite sure what to expect.  Sleeping all day can mean she is awake for most of the night.  Some days we have a baby who cries for 2-3 hours non-stop for reasons unknown.  Some days we have a spazoid baby who wants to eat but spends countless minutes fussing before she finally decides to latch on. Some days she is just wide awake and just wants constant affection.  And some days she is just perfect.  All I can do is guess what may be wrong, and try to soothe her the best I can. The worst is when it seems like no matter what I do, I can't make her feel better. I guess that is all a part of being a mommy. You hate to see your child in distress and you hate it even more when you know there is not much you can do. You wish more than anything that you could take their pain away and you would trade places in a heartbeat.  That is the love a mother has for their child.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grrrr... I just wrote a big long comment and it didn't post. I will come back and rewrite later!

Jen Ryder said...

I can't wait to hear all about Operation HM!!! Keep writng!!! I love it!

Unknown said...

You are so great! Go You! I need in on this Operation HM.... My youngest is 10 months, and with a really rough start to this one, I have yet to loose my baby weight, But its time. Love the blog!